The City of Mountain View Public Library provides a variety of Internet and Library Catalog computer stations in order for customers to access and use Library and Internet resources. This policy establishes the rules for use of computer resources.
Computer station resources that require a Library "smart" card. A Library "smart" card has a chip that holds the "purse" value for printing.
- Internet stations - 90 minutes per day, printing available
- Internet/word processing stations - 90 minutes per day, printing available
- Children's Internet stations - no future reservations, filtered access, printing available.
The total amount of time available on the above stations is 90 minutes per day per person/cardholder. Computer stations in the Children's area are intended for use by children and adults working with children. Computer stations in the Teen Zone are intended for use by Teens during the hours the Teen Zone is reserved for Teens.
Computer station resources that do not require a Library "smart" card.
- Express stations - "walk-up" stations for quick Internet and catalog searches, limit 15 minutes, no printing
- Catalog stations - unlimited use of the Library catalog and research databases, printing available
- All customers must read and agree to comply with the provisions of the City of Mountain View Library Internet Access Policy and the Library Internet and Catalog Computer Use Policy.
- Users are responsible for any damage to equipment, network or software as a result of inappropriate use. Inappropriate use includes physical abuse, tampering with the software, settings or security, introducing a computer virus; or any other operation of the equipment, system or software for reasons other than intended authorized functions.
- No outside software or application programs may be used on Library equipment.
- Users must comply with license agreements and copyright laws.
- A maximum of two people at a time may use a computer station.
- All Library customers are reminded that Library computers are public use computers as opposed to personal use computers. Library computers are located in public areas where other customers may see personal information and where minors are present. Exhibiting harmful matter to a minor is against the law.
- There is no charge to print information from the Library's catalog computers.
- For printing from Internet stations the charge is $.15 per B&W page and $.05 for the second double sided page and $.30 per page for color printing.
- Printing charges will be deducted from the value on the customer's Library card.
It is the policy of the City of Mountain View Public Library to protect the privacy of Library customers consistent with the law. The Library may keep statistical records of customer use of Internet computers; for example, the number of users each day or average session time. Payment history records are maintained on customers who print using the smart card "purse".
Adopted by the City of Mountain View Public Library Board of Trustees
Revised October 20, 2003
Revised August 19, 2001
July 20, 1998